Alpha Strike 1

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

Alpha Strike 1

Postby Saint19 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Under the HDSII-NACV Battleset I'm trying the Alpha Strike mission. I stink. :D :D

I can't even get planes near the peninsula without getting shot up. I've tried recon...I've tried having F-18's with HARMS...nothing works. I realize I am learning. But the map isn't displaying targets on the peninsula anymore. Yet my planes are being destroyed. I've had them turn on radars to attempt to find the targets...but I don't see anything. Aye...I am lost with this game right now.

How am I supposed to become an Admiral like that?
Saint19
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Herman Hum » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Here's a video that can help you with that scenario:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqUg9ymdDSI

If you cannot see targets, you might try switching between Unit and Group mode (NumPad9 hotkey). Some targets are deliberately hidden from you until you detect them.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Re: Alpha Strike 1

Postby Saint19 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:11 pm

Well when I first ran it the air defenses did show up although I didn't use radar. But since then nothing even when using radar. Again we'all see. Right now in my vase I'm more prone to think its user error.
Saint19
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Saint19 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:19 am

I've watched the video and still I get no targets even after pressing numpad 9. When pressing the groups are separated into individual units and buildings. However, none of the air defenses are showing throughout the peninsula...no matter what I do. So I can't target them.

I'm not sure why I saw them on my very first try at this mission, but never since then. I'd love to be able to use standoff weapons, but am unable to obtain any information regarding Air Defense locations since the targets don't show.
Saint19
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Herman Hum » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:59 am

The problem you are most likely encountering is the SA-10 battery. Once you launch your planes, you are almost within firing range of this enemy unit. You really need to hit it immediately with HARMs. I usually send about 10 to do the job and they usually destroy the unit (or shut down all the radar). Keep your planes as low as possible (100m Min launch alitutude for HARM) and be sure to use the Prowler jammers to degrade the enemy radar.

You are probably being shot down because you allow the planes to climb to the AI-determined altitude of 2001m. The game does this automatically when you launch. You must catch them and force them back down below the radar horizon. Keep a pair of widely separated Hawkeyes up, too. They can help triangulation of the enemy radar. In ANW, it is much more difficult to localize the SAM radar, but it is still possible. Once the deadly SA-10 site is down, the others are more easily manageable.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby Saint19 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:16 am

Aye...but I can't target what I can't see. I mean the first time I ran the mission there were AAA sites, radar sites, marine sites, SAM sites littered over the peninsula.

Now nothing shows at all. Maybe if it happens again I can take a screenshot or something.

Say...does HARPOON allow for more intricate planning regarding use of terrain masking using land masses? I realize it doesn't look like it does...but you never know. I guess that's where that "relief layer" would be helpful as well.
Saint19
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Herman Hum » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:23 am

Harpoon also calculates for land masses. Mountains and ridges will block SAMs and radar in H3, too. Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to see all the terrain effects in Harpoon. The graphics are limited.

Your Intruders have an FLIR [Forward-Looking InfraRed] sensor. This means that they will help detect the other hidden targets as you get closer to the base. The SA-10 site is easily detectable.

If you saw AAA sites and others easily on the first attempt, you may have been playing at the Easy difficulty setting. Be sure to select default or Average next time.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby Saint19 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:17 am

Ok. I see now that they do show up. However the Uncertaincy Zone is so huge that all the air defense targets show up WEEEE'LLLL north of Keflavik. I can't get the zones to narrow down to where the target might be.
Saint19
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Herman Hum » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:31 am

You are quite correct about the monstrous Uncertainty Zones in ANW and HUE. This is not a problem in H3, but you don't have that version.

You can try disperse your units in order to triangulate a bit. Once you reduce them a bit, you can either localize with the FLIR or, you might be able to get them to reveal themselves further by firing a single HARM missile at them. The weapon should have sufficient range to home on the radar emissions. You do not need precise target location to use a HARM.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby Saint19 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:18 am

I'm going to try and post a screen of what I'm talking about to show how large the UZ's are. No matter what I've done I've been unsuccessful at getting those UZ's to narrow down to Keflavik.

I honestly don't remember all the details. But I do know there were two E-2's in the air. There was also another flight EA-6 Prowlers that had been circling around. I had them go up towards the peninsula attempting to localize the targets and they got shot down.
Saint19
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Herman Hum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:55 am

Here's another video, but specific to the ANW v3.9.4 because it plays slightly differently from the H3 version.

Alpha Strike 1 [ANW]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8a5TQ0IN4c
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby Saint19 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:00 am

Thanx for the video. I just tried it again. Although I tried to follow very similarly to what you did, no targets showed up on the peninsula. Everything still remained way up north. In addition when I tried to go live with the radar for the EA-6's and Hornets, the planes just stayed frozen in the air. Previously they were loitering around a waypoint. Hmmm...I eventually just ended the mission to put the kids to bed.

If anything it shows me that my thoughts of devising a plan and having the AI carry it out are probably too grandiose. I don't think any AI can do that. So to some extent there will be some micromanaging.

I'm wondering if Steam and Iron would sort of satisfy THAT need for me. Yes it'll take some maneuvering...but not the same level of micromanaging. I'm still looking at COMMAND as well. But it seems that needs a fair bit of micromanaging as well.. So I'll make up my mind soon.
Saint19
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Herman Hum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:20 am

You are right about the necessity for management. No AI can handle it. MNO tries to tell everyone that their AI will do it, but that is simply not true. In fact, many MNO players are now telling other players to take manual control of virtually everything such as AAW/SAM defenses and re-fueling. I've always known how limited the AI is for both MNO and ANW. I just don't try to pretend the AI is something that it is not.

I found SaI one of the best (if you want to be as hands off as possible). If you play at the 'Admiral's command level' in SaI, all you need to do is issue navigation commands to the flagships and everything else will follow. A video is available for this level of command and control:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hdq_gTT ... E012583E22

The gunnery can be left to each ship's captain. However, you must control the navigation. You cannot tell your fleets to patrol an area.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby Saint19 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Ok. I see some progress. I made sure to load up all of my strike missions either at the beginning or very early on. Once I did that I got the SA-10 site identified pretty quickly.

Boy those HARMS still have a tough time getting through...but make it. Now I tend to screw up the actual airfield attack. So I'm going to watch the Air Ops tutorial again.
Saint19
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Herman Hum » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:03 pm

In direct response to a request for assistance from:
ORIGINAL: Saint19

Under the HDSII-NACV Battleset I'm trying the Alpha Strike mission. I stink. :D :D

I can't even get planes near the peninsula without getting shot up. I've tried recon...I've tried having F-18's with HARMS...nothing works. I realize I am learning. But the map isn't displaying targets on the peninsula anymore. Yet my planes are being destroyed. I've had them turn on radars to attempt to find the targets...but I don't see anything. Aye...I am lost with this game right now.

How am I supposed to become an Admiral like that?

viewtopic.php?p=1731#p1731

A new video for Alpha Strike 1 has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch Alpha Strike 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8a5TQ0I ... EC&index=2

"Harpoon for Dummies" channel * FAQ * Facebook * HarPlonkHQ

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library
Harpoon ANW users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library
Harpoon HUE users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to H3 General discussion