Demo not working on desktop-clock not counting down

Discuss Harpoon 97, Classic, Gold, or Commander's Edition

Demo not working on desktop-clock not counting down

Postby Saint19 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Hello,

I hope I'm not asking in the wrong place. I've tried to find answers on Google with no success. But I'm having trouble getting the H3CE demo to work on my computer. It's the newest version of the demo which expires .in January 2015.

Dell
AMD Athlon 2 X2 250 3ghz
4GB Ram
AMD Radeon 7700
Realteck Sound
Windows 7
AVG Virus protection

Meanwhile my laptop works just fine with the demo:

Toshiba
i3 2.5ghz
4GB Ram
Onboard Intel 4000
Windows 8

I'd prefer to have it on my desktop of course. But can't figure out why this is happening. It loads fine and I load the tutorial...and other missions and the clock never counts down or at the least is extremely slow. If I increase time compression it starts. But it never works on 1 time compression.

The laptop doesn't have this issue. But I've not had time to try and play it. But I did notice the clock works as does the countdown timer.

Any help would be appreciated.
Saint19
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Herman Hum » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:18 pm

The desktop problem does sound very odd. The demo runs in anything BUT 1:1 time compression.

I have never heard of any problem reported with such symptoms. The only thing I can suggest is to minimize the number of background applications. Did you install the demo with Administrator access? This probably is not the cause of the problem since you can still run the demo in 1:5s compression or higher. Also, make sure that the time compression does not show "0 sec" (paused). The ability to pause a game was a recently added function.

Another (unlikely) possibility is an unseen message notification window. If a new pop-up window appears, the game pauses and you might have accidentally clicked on the map and put the message window in the background. Until it is closed, the demo cannot continue.

The only explanation for extremely slow play is the size of the scenarios. Fortunately, the scenarios included with the demo are all quite small so this is not likely a problem.

Your system seems more than adequate for the purposes of the demo. I am sorry that I could not be of more assistance. The demo seems to run properly on both my desktop and laptop.

This thread was posted in the Harpoon3 sub-forum. I'll have it moved to the Harpoon Classic sub-forum.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Re: Demo not working on desktop-clock not counting down

Postby Saint19 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:44 pm

I apologize. I see what the issue was. The screen size wasn't set correctly. I reinstalled using administrator option. But that didn't work. Then I realized I had the screen "maximized". But that didn't seem to fit. I clicked the screen size button again and it works. It appears that I was not seeing the seconds count down because the screen was cut off. How embarrassing. :P :P :P

I started doing the Beginner's walkthrough mission, which seems to be working fine. Thanx for your help.

I wanted to try the demo. I've not really played many of these types of sims having only dabbled in Dangerous Waters and SHIII. I'm considering either Harpoon or Steam and Iron. However I see the only thing available at Matrix is Harpoon Ultimate Edition.
Saint19
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

demo for Harpoon

Postby Herman Hum » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:20 pm

There is no need to apologize. It is never wrong to ask questions. IIRC, they did some fairly recent changes to the demo in order to accommodate wider screens. By asking questions, you unveiled this and it will probably help the next person who encounters it. Remember, if you are asking about something, you can bet that there are 10 others who were too timid to do the same. :)

Steam and Iron and HCE both have demos. If you also wish to try a demo for H3, let me know. Check your [PM] Private Messages. If you do not know the difference between H3 and HCE, check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpXyEd6M ... 5FF46F9D79
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Re: Demo not working on desktop-clock not counting down

Postby Saint19 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:58 pm

I do have the demo for Steam and Iron. It's pretty good but really doesn't give me an opportunity to see if I'd like it because it is so short.

I would love to try H3. I thought, but would need to be sure, that HUE contained H3.
Saint19
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

demo for Harpoon

Postby Herman Hum » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 pm

Saint19 wrote:I do have the demo for Steam and Iron. It's pretty good but really doesn't give me an opportunity to see if I'd like it because it is so short.

I would love to try H3. I thought, but would need to be sure, that HUE contained H3.

There are also some videos on SaI:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC0B7E1E012583E22

The HUE bundle contains three versions of Harpoon3 and the HCE version:

H3 v3.6.3
ANW v3.9.4
HUE v3.10

HCE v2009.097
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Return to HC General discussion