Multiplayer - Modern Chinese & ANZAC - Scenario Design

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

Multiplayer - Modern Chinese & ANZAC - Scenario Design

Postby SeaplanePaul » Sat May 02, 2020 2:29 am

Gidday Gidday all,

I much prefer playing with real life humans than against computers. Am considering getting back into Harpoon after I played it decades ago as a kid, but need to know if it can meet the following requirements. Sorry about the long list...Would be most grateful if someone could kindly answer the following questions thank you.

Yours Faithfully

Seaplane Paul

Multiplayer

1. Does H3 allow for multiplayer?

2. If so how does multiplayer work?

3. Does multiplayer work well?

4. Is it practicable to find multiplayer opponents?

Modern Pacific Warfare

5. Are the Chinese PLAN Type 052D, Type 055, and Type 075 playable in the database?

6. 5. Are the RNZN ANZAC class frigates with their Frigate Service Upgrade to carry Seaceptor missiles playable in the database?

7. Are P-8A Poseidons with harpoon missiles playable in the database?

Scenario Building

8. Can one produce a scenario with the above forces (points 5,6,7) so that the ships begin in a random location but have a pre-programmed destination?

9. Can LHDs be given invasion orders?
SeaplanePaul
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Re: Multiplayer - Modern Chinese & ANZAC - Scenario Design

Postby Herman Hum » Sat May 02, 2020 5:31 am

SeaplanePaul wrote:Multiplayer

1. Does H3 allow for multiplayer?

Only ANW v3.9.4 has multiplayer capability. The HUE v3.10 version simply crashes when players try to join the server.

2. If so how does multiplayer work?

One computer starts the game and acts as the server to handle the bulk of the calculations. Each player logs into the server as a client. (The same computer can serve as both server and client, but this slows the game a bit.)

3. Does multiplayer work well?

The game is sufficiently stable for long games. Any time a glitch is encountered, it is not too much trouble to just save and re-start a session. Auto-save capability is also available.

4. Is it practicable to find multiplayer opponents?

There is no continuous official server available. There is no meeting area for potential opponents. Each MP match is arranged and then the requisite Server/Clients are created. Therefore, it is difficult to find any opponent that has not been pre-arranged.

Modern Pacific Warfare

5. Are the Chinese PLAN Type 052D, Type 055, and Type 075 playable in the database?

The 052D is in the PlayersDB, but the 055 and 075 not yet.

6. 5. Are the RNZN ANZAC class frigates with their Frigate Service Upgrade to carry Seaceptor missiles playable in the database?

The SeaCeptor has not yet been added to the PlayersDB

7. Are P-8A Poseidons with harpoon missiles playable in the database?

The PlayersDB has a few versions of the P-8A Poseidon with Harpoon missiles.

Scenario Building

8. Can one produce a scenario with the above forces (points 5,6,7) so that the ships begin in a random location but have a pre-programmed destination?

Spawn locations can be fairly randomized and set to arrive a specific destination.

9. Can LHDs be given invasion orders?

Not quite certain what is meant by 'invasion orders.' Ships do not really disgorge amphibious troops in H3, but they simulate landings by staying on location for a set amount of time. The HUE version did introduce a crude 'board and capture' function, but it was buggy.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby SeaplanePaul » Sat May 02, 2020 7:30 am

Good evening Herman.

Thank you for your thorough reply here, and your kind offer on youtube to play a MP match.

I used to play Harpoon as a kid, and have one of the boxed sets that I treasure in the shelf above me. Own and play CMNO/CMO/Fleet Command and am writing my own modern naval wargame rules and a novel on a Communist Chinese invasion of the South Pacific so am familiar with the genre.

Could you please talk me through what I need to purchase and install so that you and I could have a one on one game against each other please?

Yours Faithfully
Seaplane Paul

(PS- am available of Facebook messenger to chat in real time if that helps thank you)
SeaplanePaul
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby Herman Hum » Sat May 02, 2020 6:17 pm

Great to hear about your own wargame rules and planned book. Maybe we can write and play some of the battles in Harpoon.

Let's get together to chat in real time on either Steam or Skype, so that we can find the best way to get you into the game. I had a chat with cdcool and he told me that you were in discussion with him on his FBook group. I suggested that an MP match between two relative noobs might be interesting. That way, the lack of experience on both sides would be equal and might make an interesting YouTube video. I could help set up the session and provide technical advice as needed.

Looking forward arranging a time to meet. I am not always online with either Steam or Skype. Drop me a line with a time and place to meet and I will be there.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby SeaplanePaul » Sat May 02, 2020 11:01 pm

Gidday Gidday Herman,

Thank you for your kind words of support and encouragement.

Maybe we can write and play some of the battles in Harpoon.

Yes would love to do this. To facilitate this there are a handful of ships that I'd love to be added to the players database please.

Let's get together to chat in real time on either Steam or Skype

Sounds good Sir. Have emailed you and sent a friend request to you on Steam. I am at UTC +12.

I suggested that an MP match between two relative noobs might be interesting.

Squeak (sound of newbie guinea pig).

I could help set up the session and provide technical advice as needed.

Thanks Herman. Hope you can advise, in real time on Steam (?), what to buy and install please.

Hopefully it will be on sale!

Yours Faithfully
Seaplane Paul
SeaplanePaul
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Return to H3 General discussion