What Am I Missing - Doing Wrong?

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

What Am I Missing - Doing Wrong?

Postby aotino » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:02 am

Hi Herman,
Well I got the new computer and it has the Windows 8.1 operating system. I don't think there's any problem running Harpoon 3 ANW on it as my Harpoon 3 CD loaded up without a hitch and my configuration key was accepted. In that respect, I am up and running. However, downloading the latest databases and scenarios seems to have a disconnect. I need to know what I'm doing wrong. After loading the game CD, I went to the library and did the latest ANW download. Interestingly, the only new database that was listed in the launcher and was available to play was the CasoDb. Players Db's and ANW Db's were shown in the launcher but when chosen, could not be found when opening the game. There is some disconnect going on here, and I have this feeling that I skipped some steps to get my Harpoon game set up and running smoothly like on my old computer. There must be some basic configuration I'm missing to prep my folders and files to get all the Databases working in the launcher. What am I doing wrong?
Confused and champing to get up and running! Alan
aotino
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Re: What Am I Missing - Doing Wrong?

Postby aotino » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:05 am

Sorry - getting used to the computer and I accidentally posted this twice.
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:47 am

A number of different things could have gone wrongly. I suspect that the primary cause is an incorrect folder path during the PlayersDB installation. When the installer asked you where to place all the PlayersDB, CasoDB, and WinstonDB files, you probably pointed it to the wrong place.

The default offered is:
C:\Matrix Games\Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare

However, if your version is different, you need to point the installer to the correct folder. It is could be this one:
C:\Matrix Games\Harpoon 3 Ultimate Advanced Naval Warfare

To fix the problem, you could try:

1) Move all the database sub-folders from your Databases folder to your desktop
2) Re-add the sub-folders one-by-one to the database folder
3) Re-start the configuration launcher after each addition to ensure proper function.
4) Shut down game and repeat steps 2-4 until all folders are back to your satisfaction

http://tinyurl.com/Installing-the-PlayersDB
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:57 pm

Herman Hum wrote:The default offered is:
C:\Matrix Games\Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare

Yes I double checked this and my path is exactly this.

Herman Hum wrote:To fix the problem, you could try:

1) Move all the database sub-folders from your Databases folder to your desktop
2) Re-add the sub-folders one-by-one to the database folder
3) Re-start the configuration launcher after each addition to ensure proper function.
4) Shut down game and repeat steps 2-4 until all folders are back to your satisfaction

http://tinyurl.com/Installing-the-PlayersDB

I'll go ahead and try this - just need to know what the "Configuration launcher" is, what it looks like in the Harp 3 ANW folder. What I will do first though is uninstall the whole game and reload my CD to start fresh. Then I'll download the latest ANW library and test it again. If it doesn't work, then I'll do as you suggested. The weird thing is why would some of the files/databases be recognized in the launcher (like my Caso Db) and not the Player's Db 2014? Very strange.
aotino

Postby aotino » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:01 pm

One other thing I thought of. Do I need to create a valid Harpoon 3.ini File before using the Launcher?
aotino

Postby aotino » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:23 am

Okay I tried reloading the game, downloading the Databases, extracting them to desktop and reintroducing them one by one. The launcher and game did not find the Players Db files, but did find all the other Db's; however, although the CasoDb showed the battlesets and scenarios, it didn't open the scenario but rather popped up a window saying "Scenario Version later than Program Version."

I could find the Player's Db battlesets and scenarios by choosing the Player's Db in the launcher, but opening the game with the Harpoon3 Application file my Matrix/Harp3 ANW folder. However, like the Caso Db, I received the same pop up, "Scenario Version later than Program Version." Is there some step I'm missing between loading the game on my computer with my Matrix Harpoon3 ANW CD, and downloading the library?
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:04 am

You have downloaded and installed the wrong version.

Harpoon HUE users can get the Complete PlayersDB HUE Library at:
http://tinyurl.com/7rhdjc5

Harpoon ANW users can get the Complete PlayersDB ANW Library at:
http://tinyurl.com/7aqxh8w

You have installed the HUE version which is incompatible with your ANW game version, so the database and scenarios will not open properly. The solution is to remove the PlayersDB, CasoDB, and WinstonDB sub-folders and reinstallation of the proper version.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:08 am

Herman Hum wrote:You have installed the HUE version which is incompatible with your ANW game version, so the database and scenarios will not open properly. The solution is to remove the PlayersDB, CasoDB, and WinstonDB sub-folders and reinstallation of the proper version.

Well that would make sense but I was pretty sure I downloaded the right one. Just to be sure, I went ahead and deleted the aforementioned files, and downloaded the hyperlink you supplied in the previous post. Still didn't work and now I'm really flummoxed. I'm dead in the water if I can't get this to work. Do you think it might be the CD I have? Was there a game upgrade to Harpoon 3 within the last 5 1/2 years? That's when I purchased the Harpoon 3 CD, but it is also the game I've built on these past years. Herman, this is a real mystery and absolutely frustrating.
aotino

Postby aotino » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:33 am

Okay so I found something as I was downloading the ANW set of folders. Apparently I needed to add the 394 patch. Understand, I am starting that far back. So, after downloading the patch I went back to the ANW Download you gave me and believe it or not, the Caso Db now works fine. Can't say the same for the Player's Db. Still won't open. Any thoughts? Am I missing another patch?
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:53 am

aotino wrote:Okay so I found something as I was downloading the ANW set of folders. Apparently I needed to add the 394 patch. Understand, I am starting that far back. So, after downloading the patch I went back to the ANW Download you gave me and believe it or not, the Caso Db now works fine. Can't say the same for the Player's Db. Still won't open. Any thoughts? Am I missing another patch?

If you found a problem with the patches, you may have other problems. I do not know just how far back you are starting. You may need more patches than just v394. If you have the original game when it released in 2006 as 3.7.0, then you will need all of these patches and apply them in this order:

ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/Harpoon3A ... 80-Inc.zip
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/Harpoon3A ... 3900DR.zip
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/Harpoon3A ... 2bComp.zip
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/Harpoon3A ... e-v394.zip

I found that if you skip one, you may be missing necessary files.

If you bought the game within the last 5-1/2 years, then you probably have v392 and only need the v394 patch. DO NOT install the 3.11 patch. That would make all of your scenarios unplayable in v3.9.4. If you used the automatic update function and the game auto-updated to v3.11, you may have to re-start from the beginning.

You managed to get the CasoDB files working, but cannot make the PlayersDB or WinstonDB files work. Since the WinstonDB file collection is very small, please zip up all the files within the WinstonDB folder and post them as an attachment. Because you successfully installed v394, the only explanation I have for your error message is if the files are for v3.10 (HUE). Once you post the WinstonDB files, I will be able to see which version for which they are created.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks Herman.
These all are very sound possibilities. I do know that I did not go the HUE route. I'm going to uninstall the game again. Find out which version I have and if its the 370 version then I'll load these patches you gave me in their order. If its the 392 version, I'll be sure to only patch with the 394. I'll post the Winston so you can check it out. Thanks.
aotino

Postby aotino » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:26 pm

Here's the Winston folder
Attachments
WinstonDB.zip
(760.17 KiB) Downloaded 867 times
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:49 pm

aotino wrote:Thanks Herman.
These all are very sound possibilities. I do know that I did not go the HUE route. I'm going to uninstall the game again. Find out which version I have and if its the 370 version then I'll load these patches you gave me in their order. If its the 392 version, I'll be sure to only patch with the 394. I'll post the Winston so you can check it out. Thanks.

I checked the attached WinstonDB files and they loaded just fine with my v394 installation. I think you have correctly selected the ANW installation Library.

Did you remember to totally shut down everything Harpoon and re-start after adding the individual database sub-folders for PlayersDB, CasoDB, and WinstonDB? The launcher does not update if you simply add a new folder. You need to re-start the game every time for it to register newly added databases.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:24 am

I'm pretty sure I did. I'm going to do the reload and check the version and go from there. If I do have the 392 version, I'll upload the 394 patch and go through the removal and re-adding of the three Db's in question and pay particular attention to shutting down all Harpoon programs between each addition.
aotino

Postby aotino » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:39 am

Okay here's the latest and it should go down in the Harpoon history annals of weird! I got tell you Herman, none of this makes sense.
So, I did, in fact, have version 392 on my CD. I reinstalled it and only applied the 394 patch. I downloaded from the ANW library and then removed Caso, Player and Winston. I shut the game down, re-added each one separately, closing Harpoon between each one. Caso and Winston opened fine with the Launcher. Players Db still won't open thru the launcher. However, here's the real kicker..... I can open the Player's Db with both the Harpoon and Harpoon Scenario Editor thru their respective Application files in the Harpoon 3 main folder. Figure that one out, because I don't have a clue. It's not pretty, and I'm not happy, but if I want to use, play or design with the Player's Db, I'll have to open it and use it thru that path - unless this all suddenly becomes clear to you what could be the problem with the Launcher and Player's Db. Thanks for bearing with me on this one. A
aotino

Next

Return to H3 General discussion