Few more Harpoon 3.9.4 (ANW) questions

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

Few more Harpoon 3.9.4 (ANW) questions

Postby Aardvarck » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi guys!
I'm a newbie in this game, I would really appreciate if someone can help me and answer on following questions:
Q1. How to determine the ETA for waypoint?
I.e. I have a sub, I need it to transit GIUK gap and remain undetected. Obviously, I set her speed to Creep (5knots), set Depth to deep and plotted waypoint. Good, but it moves very very slow. I afraid that scenario may end earlier than my sub reach her destination.. It would be great to know how many time it will take for some unit to reach destination with current speed.
Q2. I suppose that such games as Harpoon should be always played at full reality difficulty level (except Force Real Time option). However, it turned out that my subs simply..disappear at this level of difficulty once I plotted waypoints to them and started the game.. Will I ever obtain control on them again? If yes, then when I should expect my sub to appear again?
Q3. Herman, if you have a chance, I'm kindly asking you to create YouTube video about how to play (and win!) "Hide and Seek" scenario from classic GIUK battleset under USSR side

Thank you very much in advance!
Aardvarck
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Re: Few more Harpoon 3.9.4 (ANW) questions

Postby Herman Hum » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:32 pm

Aardvarck wrote:Q1. How to determine the ETA for waypoint?
I.e. I have a sub, I need it to transit GIUK gap and remain undetected. Obviously, I set her speed to Creep (5knots), set Depth to deep and plotted waypoint. Good, but it moves very very slow. I afraid that scenario may end earlier than my sub reach her destination.. It would be great to know how many time it will take for some unit to reach destination with current speed.

Welcome to the game. It seems like you are playing the game well and doing all the right things. You are checking distances against the requirements of your orders. Many players often forget to do so. :)

Unfortunately, there is no ETA function available in Harpoon. There is a Range/Distance calculator function, but no ETA feature. To activate the Range function, you can either hit NumPad 5 or from the Settings pull-down menu (Toggle Rng/Bearing [ON]). Then, you can determine the distance between two points on the map by click on one and then the other. The distance between them will appear in the message window.

Aardvarck wrote:Q2. I suppose that such games as Harpoon should be always played at full reality difficulty level (except Force Real Time option). However, it turned out that my subs simply..disappear at this level of difficulty once I plotted waypoints to them and started the game.. Will I ever obtain control on them again? If yes, then when I should expect my sub to appear again?

The loss of communication with your submarine is exactly how the Full Reality function works in Harpoon. Under that difficulty level, the submarine is out of contact once it submerges. She will attempt to fulfill the last orders you issued before she dove. Once she finishes her orders, she will return to Periscope depth and be able to receive new orders. If you plotted a path for her before she dove, she will sail to the end of that path and then come back to Periscope depth for further instructions. The loss of control over submarines is the primary reason for most players enabling the Auto-Datalinks function when they play.

Aardvarck wrote:Q3. Herman, if you have a chance, I'm kindly asking you to create YouTube video about how to play (and win!) "Hide and Seek" scenario from classic GIUK battleset under USSR side

No problem. Harpoon for Dummies accepts and welcomes requests. Please note that the video is for Harpoon 3.6 version. Other versions (ANW and HUE) may play differently.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby Herman Hum » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:33 pm

In direct response to a request for assistance from:
ORIGINAL: Aardvarck

Q3. Herman, if you have a chance, I'm kindly asking you to create YouTube video about how to play (and win!) "Hide and Seek" scenario from classic GIUK battleset under USSR side

viewtopic.php?p=1826#p1826

A new video for Hide and Seek has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel.

You can watch Hide and Seek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me6WQNreIm0

"Harpoon for Dummies" channel * FAQ * Facebook * HarPlonkHQ

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library
Harpoon ANW users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library
Harpoon HUE users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby Aardvarck » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:27 pm

Herman Hum wrote:In direct response to a request for assistance from:
ORIGINAL: Aardvarck

viewtopic.php?p=1826#p1826

A new video for Hide and Seek has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel.

You can watch Hide and Seek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me6WQNreIm0

"Harpoon for Dummies" channel * FAQ * Facebook * HarPlonkHQ

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library
Harpoon ANW users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library
Harpoon HUE users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

Herman,
Thank you very much for your answers and especially for video! This was cool :) :wink:
Aardvarck
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Return to H3 General discussion