Difference between HARPOON and COMMAND

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

Difference between HARPOON and COMMAND

Postby Saint19 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:01 am

Not knowing much of naval strategy I've decided to try some Harpoon as of late. I find it pretty fun. But I also see the new COMMAND sim out. I realize this has been somewhat controversial. However, I am not intending to startup anything negative. But the price point certainly concerns me for what I'm getting. I've watched a couple of Baloogan's COMMAND episodes. He's pretty detailed. I've also watched a couple of the tutorials from the folks at Warfaresims. It gives a very good indication of the game/sim. But it isn't the same as playing it.

However, I don't see much of a fundamental difference between COMMAND and HARPOON. Now Relief layers and the expanded database look cool. But I am not seeing anything all that "different" from how HARPOON is played that would make it a sure purchase for me.

I did like the Windows interface style. Being legally blind the Windows interface seems easier to read to me. But other than the visual background and relief layer I am unsure of the differences between the sims. I guess there is more under the hood that is different. Its probably just my lack of experience with such things. No I've not actually played COMMAND. But it doesn't have a demo. So I have to rely on the written word and videos.
Saint19
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Herman Hum » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:38 am

I don't know what controversy you think exists. I deal only with the facts. Some fundamental differences between the two are:

1. H3 has multiple maps to help you track action at different places without the constant need to zoom-out/re-position/zoom-in cycle
  2. H3 has Multi-player
  3. The formation editor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sDZH-ZT ... LE&index=3
  4. Air groups in H3 are actually at the same point on the map. Air "groups" in MNO can be scattered across a large area.
  5. MNO allows you to control individual sensors on your units instead of "turning on all radar/sonar" in H3
  6. MNO has many map features that clutter the screen and cannot be turned off (i.e. the Big Black Box of Death). Nearly everything can be turned off in 3
  7. H3 has a database editor. MNO does not.
  8. MNO has a physics package to prevent things like firing missiles 'over the shoulder' at someone behind you or ships/planes "turning on a dime"
  9. MNO has mobile land units. H3 does not.
  10. MNO often requires many more clicks to accomplish the same function in H3. i.e. Instead of just landing an air group in MNO, you may need to select each and every plane and order it to land.
  11. MNO has colour-coded messages along with a more varied assortment of message pop-up windows than H3
  12. MNO has right-click mouse button to issue orders. (This is both a blessing and curse when you try to centre the map with the right+click button.) ;-)
There are certainly some features such as map overlays that exist in MNO but not in H3, but I've never really cared about cosmetic stuff immaterial to game play. The short of it is, I find MNO a real chore to play instead of a pleasure. I wish I fought the AI more than I fought the UI in this game.

There is no MNO demo and I doubt that there ever will be. Otherwise, anyone who gets a chance to try it might arrive at the same conclusion. If a demo trial is of vital importance to you, I can set up my laptop for remote access and you can try it to your heart's content. You can also check out a complete AAR with the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a85eolvp ... LE&index=6
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Return to H3 General discussion