A ViCond Question

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

A ViCond Question

Postby aotino » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi Herman,
I have an interesting ViCond question. Let's say the player is side "Allies." There is a side called "Allied Shipping" that is a friendly in the Posture settings to the "Allies." They both have the same Hostile setting to the same enemy sides. If one of the Conditions in the "Allies" ViConds requires the player to Protect X number of ships, and some of those ships named in the ViCond are "Allied Shipping" units, will they be counted as satisfying the conditions of the "Allies" ViConds if they survive the game? I suspect the answer is no, but I wanted to ask just in case.
Thanks, Alan
aotino
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Postby Herman Hum » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:18 pm

aotino wrote:If one of the Conditions in the "Allies" ViConds requires the player to Protect X number of ships, and some of those ships named in the ViCond are "Allied Shipping" units, will they be counted as satisfying the conditions of the "Allies" ViConds if they survive the game? I suspect the answer is no, but I wanted to ask just in case.

ViConds are slightly different between H3 and ANW, but I believe you correct in your setup. If sides are friendly to one another and thus share information, then they qualify for the same ViCond. Therefore, if the ViCond states that the player must Protect # ships from damage, the game will consider all ships under direct player control (Allies) and also any ships that are under the Allied Shipping side because they share a friendly posture towards one another.

Lastly, it never hurts to set up a small test scenario and to test the final scenario to ensure that every ViCond evaluates properly. IMO, there is nothing more frustrating an playing for hours only to discover that the ViConds are faulty from the start.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Re:

Postby aotino » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:49 pm

Herman Hum wrote:IMO, there is nothing more frustrating an playing for hours only to discover that the ViConds are faulty from the start.

Halleujah on that point! That's why I followed your advice and thoroughly test the ViConds and test play my scenarios now before releasing them.

Herman Hum wrote:Lastly, it never hurts to set up a small test scenario......

This is a good idea, and I'll set up a little test to figure out the answer. I'll report the results if you're interested.

Incidently, I tried finding the tutorial that explained how to assign air units a home base when they are in flight at the start of a scenario. Somehow I can't put my finger on it. If I have an enemy unit in flight at the start of a scenario, will it automatically return to the closest enemy base? Is there a way to assign it a base other than just the closest base in the design stage of the game?

Thanks, Alan
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:00 am

aotino wrote:Incidently, I tried finding the tutorial that explained how to assign air units a home base when they are in flight at the start of a scenario. Somehow I can't put my finger on it. If I have an enemy unit in flight at the start of a scenario, will it automatically return to the closest enemy base? Is there a way to assign it a base other than just the closest base in the design stage of the game?

Lesson 58 Batch Rebuild [ANW]
Tutorials\Lesson58.SCN

point #4. Set Parental Unit of Aircraft covers assignment of the home base for aircraft directly inserted into a scenario. If this is not set, then I think the aircraft will select the first eligible base/facility inserted into that scenario as their home/landing base. This does not mean that it is necessarily the closest base. If you use the Set Parent Unit command, then I believe you must do it for aircraft individually. I think (but am not absolutely certain) that it does not work for groups of aircraft.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Re:

Postby aotino » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:21 am

Sorry, this wasn't taking the quote, so check my next edited post. Thanks.
Last edited by aotino on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
aotino

Re:

Postby aotino » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:28 am

Herman Hum wrote:Lesson 58 Batch Rebuild [ANW]
Tutorials\Lesson58.SCN, point #4.

Thanks.

Herman Hum wrote:If you use the Set Parent Unit command, then I believe you must do it for aircraft individually. I think (but am not absolutely certain) that it does not work for groups of aircraft.

I might test this as well and will let you know the results if I do.
Once again, thanks.
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:15 am

I just tested the Set Parent Unit command and it appears to work for aircraft groups as well as individual planes.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Re:

Postby aotino » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:33 am

Herman Hum wrote:I just tested the Set Parent Unit command and it appears to work for aircraft groups as well as individual planes.

Great news, because I know I will cross that bridge in scenario designing.

BTW, I tested your premise on whether friendly units are covered under the umbrella of a player's "Protect" ViConds and you were right (of course!). If you need to have, say 3 ships, protected by the end of the game, and two of them are on friendly sides, and one is your player side - if they have survived the game and meet the qualifications of the ViConds (under % damage), then the ViConds are met! Attached is the test scenario if you care to check yourself.

Cheers,
Alan
Attachments
TestAlliedShips.zip
(40.52 KiB) Downloaded 858 times
aotino

Return to H3 General discussion