Trying to work out the best version for a novice

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

Trying to work out the best version for a novice

Postby pandoraefretum » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi there Harplonk Headquarters,

I have recently bought Harpoon UE. I am trying to work out the best version to play (if at all; with Naval War: Arctic Circle out maybe Harpoon has been usurped? or is Naval War not as 'deep' as Harpoon? what about GCB?).
Anyway at first sight, the number of versions of Harpoon is confusing, What should someone start out with (as of April 2012)?
HUE, I have read, has 240 anomalies, ANW slightly less, and 363 is the most reliable, correct ?
Does that mean 363 is bug free, or does it also have 60 or so anomalies ?
(363 does not have a screen resolution that suits my Widescreen laptop, nor can I get the ini installer to install ..(it cannot register 2 files))
So for a novice, like myself, is it going to make a lot of difference if I just use HUE ? With the complete PlayersDB are the anomalies in HUE a) resolved or at least b) tolerable ?
In other words which is the best Harpoon version considering I am using PlayersDB ? (considering i am a novice)

Lastly, manually editing the ini for 363, do I point the Battleset folder to BattleSet or Battlset (with Player'sDB installed)?
Where can I get info about what goes on in the ini with regards PlayersDB ?

Thanks over & over for your help.
Roland
pandoraefretum
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Herman Hum » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:52 am

In direct response to:
pandoraefretum

I have recently bought Harpoon UE. I am trying to work out the best version to play (if at all; with Naval War: Arctic Circle out maybe Harpoon has been usurped? or is Naval War not as 'deep' as Harpoon? what about GCB?).
Anyway at first sight, the number of versions of Harpoon is confusing, What should someone start out with (as of April 2012)?
HUE, I have read, has 240 anomalies, ANW slightly less, and 363 is the most reliable, correct ?
Does that mean 363 is bug free, or does it also have 60 or so anomalies ?
(363 does not have a screen resolution that suits my Widescreen laptop, nor can I get the ini installer to install ..(it cannot register 2 files))
So for a novice, like myself, is it going to make a lot of difference if I just use HUE ? With the complete PlayersDB are the anomalies in HUE a) resolved or at least b) tolerable ?
In other words which is the best Harpoon version considering I am using PlayersDB ? (considering i am a novice)

Lastly, manually editing the ini for 363, do I point the Battleset folder to BattleSet or Battlset (with Player'sDB installed)?
Where can I get info about what goes on in the ini with regards PlayersDB ?

viewtopic.php?p=1364#p1364

A new video for "Trying to work out the best version for a novice" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch Trying to work out the best version for a novice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o0wumsbXc0
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Re: Trying to work out the best version for a novice

Postby pandoraefretum » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks Herman, for the response (best response I ever received about anything on the net); I'm listening to it now... I agree about 3d graphics detracting from the real meaning of a game (in NWAC) at least in harpoon, it feels that 'less' is more. I want to thank you for your time and effort in replying... I didn't know about the options disable / enable folders... so that helped massively, actually. The alternative launcher is also much better... thx for that tip too.

I confess I bought harpoon II on floppies, around 20 years ago... but never got into playing it (there was no Youtube with guys like yourself helping out back then). I have decided on 363 for the best experience with the game... now give me a month and I will be intermediate, hopefully. Thx again, Roland
pandoraefretum
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Return to H3 General discussion