H3 ANW Launcher 2.5 question

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

H3 ANW Launcher 2.5 question

Postby Buddha » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:04 am

For some reason, the Data Base Manager tab of my Launcher shows two instances of HUD3 - 1.6.1 - May 4TH 2011. Selecting either one appears to have identical results in the game, but the DB is listed twice for some reason.

Is this supposed to happen? If not, is there a way to remove one of the entries without trashing anything. The Launcher's .ini file doesn't seem to have any entries that apply, and I'm not sure where else to look.

Thanx,

Buddha
He who beats his swords into plowshares shall forever plow the fields of he who did not.
Buddha
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby Herman Hum » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:16 am

The solution to your problem is simple. Check all the sub-folders inside your Databases folder. There should be ANW, PlayersDB, etc. Each sub-folder has an *.XML file. The data from the XML file is read by the ANW Launcher and the information appears underneath the Database Manager tab.

Somehow, you have two duplicate *.XML files in different folders. You can modify one of them with any text editor or delete it. (For example, change 1.6.1 can be changed to 1.6.1.0) Once you do this, the Database Manager tab should display everything properly.

This is the fundamental reason why the PlayersDB always uses (and re-uses) the exact same file and folder names. We always overwrite the same items already in use so that your situation will never appear when using the PlayersDB Library installation programs.

Harpoon HUE users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

Harpoon ANW users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Re: H3 ANW Launcher 2.5 question

Postby Buddha » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:35 pm

Herman,

My Databases Folder has the following Sub-Folders in it: ANWDB, CasoDB, DB2000, HUD3, ODB, and PlayersDB. Each of these contains one file named Database.XML.

The Databases Folder itself contains no .xml files at all.

I can't find anything duplicated or extraenious in there anywhere.

Buddha
He who beats his swords into plowshares shall forever plow the fields of he who did not.
Buddha
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby Herman Hum » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Buddha wrote:Herman,

My Databases Folder has the following Sub-Folders in it: ANWDB, CasoDB, DB2000, HUD3, ODB, and PlayersDB. Each of these contains one file named Database.XML.

The Databases Folder itself contains no .xml files at all.

I can't find anything duplicated or extraenious in there anywhere.

The setup is correct. There should be no *.XML file in the main Databases sub-folder. They only exist in the various specific sub-folders like ANWDB, PlayersDB, etc.

The duplicate exists between the *.XML files. The most likely explanation for your symptoms is that the Database.XML file in the HUD3 folder is duplicated by the Database.XML file in one of the other sub-folders. The easiest way to find out which one is to:

1) simply temporarily move all the XML files somewhere else.
2) Make sure you have ANW (including the launcher) totally shut down.
3) Move one of the XML files back one at a time.
4) Re-start the Launcher to see which database appears in the Database manager tab
5) Shut down the Launcher and repeat step 3 - 4 until you have identified the duplicate Database.XML file
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby Buddha » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Herman,

Here's what I have, for what sense it makes.

If I remove all of the Database.XML files, the launcher seems to work fine without them, and display DBs that match with the folders I have.

Adding them back one at a time, everything works fine until I add the one for the ODB folder. At this point, ODB disappears from the launcher, and seems to be replaced by a second HUD3 - 1.6.1 - May 4th 2011 entry. It seems there's an entry in the XML file someplace that dictates what name should appear in the launcher, and the one for the ODB folder just has the wrong name.

The only other difference I noted is that with the XML files present, the launcher entries contain a little more info on each DB (Version number, date, etc.) Nice to have, but not really important, to me anyway.

I opened the XML file up in IE, but to be honest I know next to nothing about those types of files and hesitate to tinker around with it.

Gameplay seems unaffected.

Thanx,

Buddha
Buddha
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby Herman Hum » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Buddha wrote:
If I remove all of the Database.XML files, the launcher seems to work fine without them, and display DBs that match with the folders I have.

The Launcher program uses the XML files to display the pertinent information, if you shut down everything Harpoon. If you left the Launcher active when you moved the Database.XML files, then you might be seeing what you report.

I have done the same and now believe that we are seeing the same thing. I physically moved all the database.XML files(HUD3, PlayersDB, ODb, ANW) to my desktop and THEN open ANW Launcher 2.5. This is what appears:

No XML.gif
No XML.gif (13.1 KiB) Viewed 9009 times

Buddha wrote:
Adding them back one at a time, everything works fine until I add the one for the ODB folder. At this point, ODB disappears from the launcher, and seems to be replaced by a second HUD3 - 1.6.1 - May 4th 2011 entry. It seems there's an entry in the XML file someplace that dictates what name should appear in the launcher, and the one for the ODB folder just has the wrong name.

The only other difference I noted is that with the XML files present, the launcher entries contain a little more info on each DB (Version number, date, etc.) Nice to have, but not really important, to me anyway.

I opened the XML file up in IE, but to be honest I know next to nothing about those types of files and hesitate to tinker around with it.

I think that you have identified the problem. At some point in time, you accidentally unzipped the HUD3 zip file contents and replaced the contents of your ODb folder. I am attaching a zip file with all the ODb files. You can compare them to the files currently residing in your ODb folder. I suspect they are different.

Simply replace each of the files in your ODb folder with the same file from this zip file and everything should be just fine.
Attachments
ODB.zip
(4.24 MiB) Downloaded 577 times
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby Buddha » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Herman,

That seems to have done it, thanx.

I now have a Harpoon 3 Standard Database entry in the launcher that wasn't there before. The Folder name is still ODB, but I like Harpoon 3 Standard Database better as a name in the Launcher anyway.

I don't recall unzipping anything into the wrong folder anywhere along the line, but it's certainly a distinct possibility, and would explain the whole situation as well.

Thanx again,

Buddha
Buddha
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Return to H3 General discussion