CasoDB AMENDED - New Database and scenarios

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

Re: CasoDB AMENDED - New Database and scenarios

Postby Herman Hum » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:09 pm

aotino wrote:First, a scenario I'm creating has me mining the Straits of Hormuz (yup, again) - so, first, I know that I shouldn't put a mine in any water over -50, and do the start scenario, save and check the mine(s) to see that they are in place with the proper depth of -50, correct?

I am not a fan of starting a scenario with the scenario editor and then saving. Too often, it causes complications with editing and things like victory conditions. I avoid it whenever possible.

Mines placed in areas with sea levels greater than 50m often 'dive' to maximum depth. IIRC, the mine sweep devices cannot reach them, as they are limited to about 50m.

I think that it is safe to insert the mines and assign them to a mission. Once the mission activates, they should go to their assigned depth. Be sure to test this for yourself, in case I am mistaken.

aotino wrote:Secondly, I have actually never made use of exclusion zones. So, if I wanted to insure that the Allies were excluded from a zone, how do I do that, and do I do that when I'm in the Allied side of play when I design the exclusion zone?

1) Go to the Allied side
2) Select map and hit F7 to bring up the Navigation Zone menu
3) Click on points to designate the area for the zone
4) Click on F7 once the area is covered
5) Select the type of zone to be created

aotino wrote: is it only the contact mines that will work, or is there a way for the Sea and Seabed mines to be set for the -50 depth? I was only able to get the contact mines to do that after starting and pausing the scenario. Its been a while since I've laid mines - quite a few scenarios ago, so I don't quite remember. How do I set the other type of mines to work and get them out of that ridiculous depth that they default to?

IIRC, all the mines work the same way / range. I think that the only difference is in the name, to help designers keep track. The depth bug with the insertion of mines is only for ANW and HUE versions. Even if they are placed in areas with only shallow depth (-50m), they show up as a massive depth number. However, once they are assigned to a mission and the ANW/HUE game starts, they should go to the maximum depth at their location. To get them to stay at a depth of -50m, you might try different missions to find one that allows them to utilize that depth.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:25 pm

Sorry for responding so late to these answers. Been busy trying to arrange my life with the crazy new world we live in. Anyways, just wanted to say thanks and I'll implement these tips you've given me and will let you know how it goes. Stay safe and healthy!
aotino
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Postby aotino » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:28 am

Hi Herman,

I hope this finds you well during these crazy times. I just wanted to get back to you about all the tips you gave me regarding the mines and exclusions zones. You were spot on right about the mines. I did a test try and sure enough all the mines went to the bottom where I had carefully placed them in waters 50m or less and had them assigned to missions. Perfect! They certainly didn't go to that ridiculous depth that they default to.

You were also right to warn me not to start a game in the scenario editor. I didn't look too deeply, but there were all sorts of problems that came up right away. So much so, that I ended up dumping that scenario and rebuilding it from scratch. I had certainly ruined it by hitting the start. It wasn't too bad because I hadn't gotten that far in.

Finally, an update on my scenario campaign. I have now built the fourth of the six scenarios that are scheduled to go into the next battle set - The Flickering Flame. Two more are to be built, however none have been play-tested yet. So I've got a ways to go, but I'll hopefully have something out in the fall that we can publish as well as the new battle set. Thanks and let me know if its all a worthwhile endeavor. I went and tried Command last year, but I think its a little too broad and detailed for my abilities. What are your thoughts on it?

Best,
Alan
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:02 am

Just got new messages from a new player in NZ and a returning US player. You will have to decide if it is worth your while.

MNO is a joke, with virually all the aircraft limited to a ridiculous maximum speed of 900 knots. Such unrealistic aircraft behaviour is enough to tell me that the game is worthless. If they cut corners on vital statistics like aircraft performance, you can just imagine all the other short-cuts and work-around Mickey Mouse behaviours they use within the game.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:03 pm

Herman Hum wrote:Just got new messages from a new player in NZ and a returning US player. You will have to decide if it is worth your while.

MNO is a joke, with virually all the aircraft limited to a ridiculous maximum speed of 900 knots. Such unrealistic aircraft behaviour is enough to tell me that the game is worthless. If they cut corners on vital statistics like aircraft performance, you can just imagine all the other short-cuts and work-around Mickey Mouse behaviours they use within the game.

I feel its always worth my time to stay active with Harpoon 3 just because I simply enjoy designing and playing scenarios in the game. But it's still nice to know that there are people out there still playing the game.

Regarding MNO, I found it is heavy with logistical steps for game play, which might be attractive for the players that enjoy the game, but I found it cumbersome and too detailed - overly complicated to be quite honest. It kinda feels a little full of itself - I just needed it to be a little more stream-lined to be enjoyable.

I'll let you know when I have a couple of the new scenarios play-tested, and we can announce and open the new battleset.

Thanks, A
aotino

Postby aotino » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi Herman,
Long time no message to..... I'm working on the last of 6 scenarios in the upcoming battleset (I have yet to test play any of the 5 that are completed as yet). I figure I'll test them all after finishing this 6th one. Unfortunately I am out of town and didn't bring my map to select the data for my Miller Cylindrical playing map. Is there a place online where I can download a copy? I can't believe I've never put the map on my computer for handy reference. Let me know and cheers!
Alan
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:03 pm

ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:24 pm

Yes that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!
aotino

Postby aotino » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:40 pm

Hey Herman,
I've gotten a message that my password has been compromised for this site. I've gone the usual route of changing it, but when it gets to the part where I'm supposed to receive the email to reset, I never get the email. I need to reset this password, but I can't seem to get the mechanism to do it. I hate to leave the site, but I may have to if I can't get this resolved for security reasons. Help!
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:35 pm

I am not quite certain what is being asked.

Obviously, you are able to log onto the forum under username aotino and post messages.
Other than the ability to change your password, are you able to do everything else under your username?
Do you have access to the PM system? Are you able to send or receive Private Messages?

If you can send and receive PM, you might try to send me a temporary password and we can try to re-set your username to this new temporary password. If it works, you can re-log onto the forum and try to change it, again.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:29 pm

Hi Herman,
I just sent you a PM with the temporary password.
aotino

Postby aotino » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:33 pm

Success!! Temp password worked and I've changed to a new password so I'm all set. Thanks so much for helping me, and now I can settle down to working on my scenarios and feeling that my connection to the site is safe. Cheers, A
aotino

Postby aotino » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:30 pm

Been a dog's age since I've checked in. Lots of personal and professional stuff going on so haven't been tuned in for several months. Any activity at all with Harpoon, or is it a dead site?
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:42 am

The file libraries continue to be downloaded.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to H3 General discussion