CasoDB AMENDED - New Database and scenarios

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

Re:

Postby aotino » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 am

Thanks Herman. The first scenario will be coming along very soon.

Herman Hum wrote:The battleset DSD files have been updated and the Library installation files have been re-posted.

Harpoon HUE users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

Harpoon ANW users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library
aotino
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Re: CasoDB AMMENDED - New Database and scenarios

Postby aotino » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Herman,

Attached is the 1st of the four scenarios making up the 2nd Battleset - "The Abyss of War."
Let me know when I should announce this scenario, named "Ghost Carrier."

Thanks, Alan
Attachments
08-1CoralA1.zip
(138.33 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:21 am

The scenario has been:

1) Synchronized with your latest CasoDB released 2012.10.14
2) Added to the ANW and HUE Library installers
3) Added to the battleset *.DSD file

Ready to release as soon as you make your announcments.

p.s. The scenario is available for HUE players. I think you may have missed the announcement on the HUE forum.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2760260
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Re:

Postby aotino » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:04 am

Oops, you're right. I'll take care of that. Thanks! I'll get the announcement for 08 Ghost Carrier out right away.

Herman Hum wrote: I think you may have missed the announcement on the HUE forum.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2760260
aotino

Postby aotino » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:39 am

The 8th NEW Indochine Campaign scenario!

08 Ghost Carrier

CENTRAL PACIFIC:
Papua/New Guinea/E Australia:

In 1985, the Australians sold their Majestic-class carrier, HMAS Melbourne to the Chinese for scrap. After a much star-crossed journey, it was finally delivered to Port Huangpu almost two months later. However, the ship was not scrapped immediately. In fact, it was not scrapped at all. After world interest in its fate waned and became caught up in more important issues, the Chinese secretly began to refit the old warhorse. They began to train pilots in carrier operations, and unbeknownst to the rest of the world, the first Chinese operational carrier was developed - their most guarded secret. Long after the events that brought the Chinese a first-class navy with several well known and celebrated carrier squadrons, the Chinese Indochines still kept their little secret.

When the US is enroute to deliver the first of two newly refitted Iwo Jima-class carriers to Australia, a ghost from the past emerges out of the Solomon Sea and challenges their right to pass though the Coral Sea to Australia.

Author: Alan Caso

This is the eigth scenario written for ANW and HUE using the customized CasoDB. The scenario and database are bundled within the PlayersDB installation file due to its phenomenal popularity and ease of use.

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library
Harpoon ANW users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library
Harpoon HUE users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

"Harpoon for Dummies" channel
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:35 am

The Library installation files have been updated and posted to the server.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:54 am

The scenario 08 Ghost Carrier has been slightly revised. Attached is the amended scenario. Thanks, Alan
Attachments
08-1CoralA1.zip
(137.75 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:45 am

Both Library installation files have been updated and posted to the server.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:05 am

Hey Herman,

I am ready for my next release - or just about ready depending upon the answer of my question to you.

There was an interesting outcome to my testing for this scenario. Let me explain.
The attributes to the VConds are as follows:

Getting 14 ships to a rendevous point safely and all stay for a minimum of 15 minutes.
None of those ships receiving 35% or more damage.
Destroying 20 mines.
Preventing 25 or more port facilities from receiving 10% or more damage.
Preventing no ships in port from receiving 35% or more damage.

When I did my VCond test check, everything went well and the Victory Congratulations was triggered.

However, when I did my test with enemy forces engaged, there was one interest peculiarity. I destroyed the mines. I saved port facilities. I prevented the ships in port from any damage. But due to poor play on my part, one of the 14 ships to rendevous was damaged - ended up at 63% damage. None the less, I managed to get it to the rendevous point, well within the VCond polygon, along with the other 13 ships, and all with plenty of time to spare - more than an hour more than the 15 minute requirement.

I was fully prepared to lose the one VCond where all 14 ships must receive less than 35% damage due to the one ship. As it turned out, I received success with the mines, the port facilities and the ships in port. As predicted, I did in fact fail in protecting all 14 ships due to the one ship being damaged, but I was also denied success in getting all 14 ships to the rendevous point - when in fact they were all there.

So, after this long-winded explanation, the question is: was I denied the On Station VCond due to the game not allowing a damaged ship to be counted?

If that seems correct, then I am ready to release, because everything else ran fine, and its a fun one.

Cheers, Alan
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:53 am

aotino wrote:1) Getting 14 ships to a rendevous point safely and all stay for a minimum of 15 minutes.
2) None of those ships receiving 35% or more damage.
3) Destroying 20 mines.
4) Preventing 25 or more port facilities from receiving 10% or more damage.
5) Preventing no ships in port from receiving 35% or more damage.

To clarify the list, I have enumerated the items. The individual ViConds look fine although #2 and #5 appear to be duplicates.

aotino wrote:However, when I did my test with enemy forces engaged, there was one interest peculiarity. I destroyed the mines. I saved port facilities. I prevented the ships in port from any damage. But due to poor play on my part, one of the 14 ships to rendevous was damaged - ended up at 63% damage. None the less, I managed to get it to the rendevous point, well within the VCond polygon, along with the other 13 ships, and all with plenty of time to spare - more than an hour more than the 15 minute requirement.

I was fully prepared to lose the one VCond where all 14 ships must receive less than 35% damage due to the one ship. As it turned out, I received success with the mines, the port facilities and the ships in port. As predicted, I did in fact fail in protecting all 14 ships due to the one ship being damaged, but I was also denied success in getting all 14 ships to the rendevous point - when in fact they were all there.

So, after this long-winded explanation, the question is: was I denied the On Station VCond due to the game not allowing a damaged ship to be counted?

From your description, it sounds like you have set things up properly. Of course, I could be missing something that will become obvious once I look at the scenario with the Editor. You are correct about the ship arriving On Station. The level of damage sustained should not be a factor. Did you check the ViCond just to see if it triggers with all ships arriving in 100% mint condition? If that works, then a damaged ship should still trigger the ViCond. I will be certain to check the ViCond before I run the scenario.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Re:

Postby aotino » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Herman Hum wrote: The individual ViConds look fine although #2 and #5 appear to be duplicates.

#2 deals with a flotilla of ships headed toward the On Station polygon. #5 are ships docked at Perth. They are each mutually exclusive of each other - therefore the seperate VConds.

Herman Hum wrote: Did you check the ViCond just to see if it triggers with all ships arriving in 100% mint condition? If that works, then a damaged ship should still trigger the ViCond. I will be certain to check the ViCond before I run the scenario.

Yes, I always do a 1st test just to check if the VConds will trigger, unless of course VConds require destroying active enemy units, which in this case they don't. As I pointed out, my first test was successful in achieving a trigger on all VConds. That's why this is so befuddling. The on-station VCond did not trigger for my 2nd/full contact test even though all required ships were on station together for a period far exceeding the required time. I can only figure it was the damaged ship, but as you say, that shouldn't be the case. You want to look at it?
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:54 am

aotino wrote:Yes, I always do a 1st test just to check if the VConds will trigger, unless of course VConds require destroying active enemy units, which in this case they don't. As I pointed out, my first test was successful in achieving a trigger on all VConds. That's why this is so befuddling. The on-station VCond did not trigger for my 2nd/full contact test even though all required ships were on station together for a period far exceeding the required time. I can only figure it was the damaged ship, but as you say, that shouldn't be the case. You want to look at it?

One way to test the ViConds involving destruction of enemy units is to make a sample/test file and add a couple of BCGN or BB in the middle of the enemy formation. They can blast away until sufficient enemy units are destroyed. It's crude, but it works. IMO, there is nothing more frustrating than playing a scenario according to the orders and destroying virtually everything only to find that the ViConds wont' trigger.

I can take a look at your scen if you wish to post it. Or, I can check it just before release, as you like.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Re:

Postby aotino » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:19 am

Herman Hum wrote:One way to test the ViConds involving destruction of enemy units is to make a sample/test file and add a couple of BCGN or BB in the middle of the enemy formation. They can blast away until sufficient enemy units are destroyed. It's crude, but it works. IMO, there is nothing more frustrating than playing a scenario according to the orders and destroying virtually everything only to find that the ViConds wont' trigger.

I can take a look at your scen if you wish to post it. Or, I can check it just before release, as you like.

Yes that makes a lot of sense and I'll have to try that when I have VConds that will require enemy units destroyed. The only enemy unts requiring destruction in this game are mines and in both my tests, they triggered. All other VConds in this scenario are On Station and Prevent Damage type - where only the On Station VCond didn't trigger, and only when I included an AI enemy in my second test.

So, since you offered, I am posting the scenario, named The Perth Incident. Let's see if you can shed light where I fail to do so. Thanks, Alan
Attachments
09-1CoralB1.zip
(120.81 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:41 am

I think I found out why you lost the game.

The Composite ViCond requires 5 conditions to be met. You can see them in the attached image. Because you failed #3 (Protect 1 unit from 35% Damage), you only accomplished the other 4 ViConds. Unless you meet all 5 ViConds, you failed. Of course, you can select the Composite ViCond and modify it. It currently stipulates 5 conditions are necessary for victory.

Is this the scenario you wish to release or do you wish to modify before re-posting to this thread?
Attachments
Composite ViCond.gif
Composite ViCond.gif (5.55 KiB) Viewed 9664 times
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Re:

Postby aotino » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:55 am

Herman Hum wrote:I think I found out why you lost the game.

The Composite ViCond requires 5 conditions to be met. You can see them in the attached image. Because you failed #3 (Protect 1 unit from 35% Damage), you only accomplished the other 4 ViConds. Unless you meet all 5 ViConds, you failed. Of course, you can select the Composite ViCond and modify it. It currently stipulates 5 conditions are necessary for victory.

Yes, I do understand why I didn't win the game - even anticipated that I would lose the game because of #3. However, I expected to be successful with #1 - Reach Area - since I had all the required ships present, So, the real question is why it denied me that VCond. I'm just concerned that there might be a glitch that I can't identify. Remember, my initial test granted me success getting all required ships in the area and victory in all 5 VConds. It was only when one was damaged in a full play of the scenario that it denied me a Reach Area success (#1) in addition to failing #3.
Herman Hum wrote:Is this the scenario you wish to release or do you wish to modify before re-posting to this thread?

The scenario plays great, and I feel that the scenario is good to go if this one contradiction can be ironed out. Just not sure what I would do to modify it without changing the rigors of the game.
aotino

PreviousNext

Return to H3 General discussion