CasoDB AMENDED - New Database and scenarios

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

Re: CasoDB AMMENDED - New Database and scenarios

Postby aotino » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:16 am

The 23nd NEW Indochine Campaign Scenario

Incan Blood

Western Hemisphere;
South America, Northern Coast of Chile:

As tensions begin to increase between rival factions in South America, even the smallest actions can bring on the strongest reactions. Nowhere on this continent is it more applicable than between Chile and Peru - two countries with a long and complicated history.

The two countries were at one time very strong allies. Chile aided Peru in the Peruvian War of Independence. Later, Chile helped reunite North and South Peru in the War of Confederation.

It was during the War of the Pacific, where Chile and Bolivia began a conflict over taxes levied on Chilean mines in the northern area around the then Bolivian coastal city of Antofagasta, that a rift began between Peru and Chile. A secret defense pact with Bolivia drew Peru into conflict with their former ally, and it all ended with Chile winning the day. Bolivia lost its coastline, becoming landlocked; and Peru lost a friend.

Even today this area remains a hotly contested area, as each of these countries have chosen opposite sides in this present day conflict. Ecuador, being a fellow client state of the Indochine Alliance, has joined Peru in its endeavors. Bolivia remains neutral but sources confirm it is rife with enemy agents

Author: Alan Caso

This is the twenty third scenario written for ANW and HUE using the customized CasoDB. The scenario and database are bundled within the PlayersDB installation file due to its phenomenal popularity and ease of use.

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library
Harpoon ANW users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library
Harpoon HUE users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

"Harpoon for Dummies" channel
Last edited by aotino on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
aotino
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Postby Herman Hum » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:49 am

The Library installation programs have been publicly posted.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:07 am

That's great news Herman. I'm working on play-testing the other two scenarios left in this battleset, plus there are two more that I've already tested, but I'm spacing them out. So in a while I'll have the last four of this battleset done and I can move into the second year of the three year war. Woohoo!
Hey, have a great holiday.
aotino

Postby aotino » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:53 am

Hey Herman, I'm in panic mode right now. I was making adjustments to a scenario that I just finished testing to release, when my computer did a mini-crash - I think. Anyway, I cannot re-enter my game thru the H3Launcher, because I get this message, (attached), and I fear I have to either reload the program, or I don't know what. Any idea of why I've been kicked out of my own program, and the file being possibly corrupted? Let me know your thoughts. Best, Alan
Attachments
IMG_1100.JPG
IMG_1100.JPG (20.06 KiB) Viewed 11535 times
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:01 am

Remain calm. The problem does not sound insurmountable.

1) Post your scenario to this thread. I can open it and just make sure that there is nothing wrong with the file. If you successfully saved it before you experienced the mini-crash, then the file should be fine. I just want to confirm the status of the *.scn file. If your ScenEdit program crash in the midst of the save process, you could have a corrupted file. Unless you remembered to save under a previous name different from the corrupted file name, then the corrupted file may be lost. No need to panic until we can establish whether or not the file is corrupt.

2) Work slowly and try to go back to a time when your game worked. If you are using the H3Launcher utility, try to start the game directly from the game icon (Harpoon3.exe), instead.

3) Sometimes, a re-boot of your system is all that is needed to clear some memory problems.

4) A corruption of the H3Launcher utility is possible, but not likely. However, it costs nothing to re-download the utility from SubSim.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloa ... le&id=1628

5) You can also try to move the *.ini file(s) for both the H3Launcher.exe and the Harpoon3.exe Just move them temporarily out of the folder. The next time you try to re-start either the H3Launcher utility or H3 program, a new *.ini file should be created. If the problem is not solved, move the original *.ini files back to your game folder.

These are all safe methods of testing. Let me know if further ideas are required.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi Herman,
Thanks for the ideas. Attached is the file. I did save it, and then did some more work on it before I had the issue with the computer. Take a look at it to see if its okay. I will try the other things you suggested. One problem with my computer is that the disk space is all filled up. I need to free up some space. What things can I generally get rid of on a hard drive that take up space BTW? That's the first thing I need to do. It's probably causing all sorts of other problems.
Thanks again, Herman
Attachments
25-2CoralB3 (2).zip
(66.49 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:29 pm

The news is not good. I was unable to open the *.scn file with any game version. The error message given was: "Failed to Load Arena". This message is usually the kiss of death. In my experience, it means that the file was corrupted during a save process and not all required information was saved. Thus, future attempts to open the file result in this error message because, I think, the game is unable to find sufficient map information.

Failed to load arena.gif
Failed to load arena.gif (4.34 KiB) Viewed 11525 times

Regardless, I do not feel that this file is redeemable. If you did not previously save the scenario under a different name, then all the information is lost.

It is for this particular reason why it is always a good practice to save the file under different names at regular intervals. There are many things that can go wrong during the creation process; file corruption during the save procedure is only one of them.

With regards to freeing up disk space, you can try to do a search for all files on your hard drive. Then, you can sort them by size and thus see which ones occupy the largest space on your HDD. This way, you might recognize which ones you might wish to delete. Also, you can use the same file list and then sort by "Last Date of Modification" to see which ones you have not touched in a long time. Those files may also be contenders for deletion or archival storage on another drive or location.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:00 am

Okay thanks Herman. I have a save from the very start of a test run, and I can use that. Meanwhile, I need to see if I can get the game itself back up and running, so I'm going to start initiating the options you gave me in the last text you sent. If I have troubles reloading the game, I may call on you for your sage advice again. Thanks again! Alan
aotino

Postby aotino » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:33 am

Hi Herman,
So, none of the above worked. The whole game is truly corrupted. I get this message (see attached) when I try to open the game from the Harpoon 3 exe file. Need to walk thru the steps on what I have to do to reload game. I've taken all my scenarios and moved them to a temporary file on my desktop. I've taken a .sav file of the beginning of testing the scenario in question, and want to know if I can create a new .scn from that, or do I have to rebuild that scenario from scratch again. UGH. That sets me back about two to three months.
Anyway, let me know. Thanks, Alan
Attachments
IMG_1101.JPG
IMG_1101.JPG (52.91 KiB) Viewed 11503 times
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:04 am

The error messages refer to problems with your Resource files. I suspect that it is just something wrong with your *.INI files (they are trying to locate something which cannot be found or has been moved.) With time, we could probably figure out which files you may or may not be missing. However, the simplest solution might just be a re-installation of the H3 files.

First, you might wish to check your HCE, ANW, and HUE installations to ensure that they are still functional.
If they are, then you only need to re-install the H3 files. They are small and the process should thus be quick.

You have moved your scenario files. Don't forget to move your database files, too, just in case.

The *.SAV game file cannot be converted to an *.SCN file. However, your possession of that file will at least save you some time in re-creating a new *.SCN file. Once you have re-installed your H3 and made sure it functions fully, you can open the H3 twice and then work side-by-side.

Open the *.SAV file with ScenEdit(1), so that you can see both sides. Then, start another session of ScenEdit(2) and use this one to re-create the scenario by looking on ScenEdit(1) and taking all the details from the *.SAV game and put them into ScenEdit(2). It is a bit tedious, but you at least have many of the details in the *.SAV file and do not need to guess many things. The starting locations should be close to those in your *.SAV game because you tested it near the beginning. It will certainly be a PitA, but it could be worse.

Once you re-install H3 and make sure it is fully functional, then start moving 1) your dB files back, and 2) then your scenarios. Always make copies before you move something so that you can back up, if necessary. Also, every time files are moved, try to start the game to ensure that they do not cause a problem before you add any additional components.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi Herman,
Just so I have it all straight, let me review the order -
I've moved my Indochine scenarios I've built
I need to move my Caso Database files
Then I uninstall Harpoon 3
I reinstall Harpoon 3. I reinstall the saved Caso Database. I add my saved Indochine scenarios. Then I go to the Harpoon 3 library and load that up. What am I missing in the steps? It seems like there were a couple of stumbling blocks the last time I loaded Harpoon 3 onto my computer.
aotino

Postby aotino » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:34 pm

I won't be doing this until tonight. I forgot to bring my mouse with me today. I left it at home, and the touch pad on my computer isn't functioning.
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:53 pm

aotino wrote:Then I uninstall Harpoon 3 [ANW v3.9.4]
I reinstall Harpoon 3 [ANW v3.9.4]. I reinstall the saved Caso Database. I add my saved Indochine scenarios. Then I go to the Harpoon 3 library and load that up. What am I missing in the steps? It seems like there were a couple of stumbling blocks the last time I loaded Harpoon 3 onto my computer.

I forgot that you are using ANW v3.9.4 to create scenarios and not H3 v3.6.3, so I added the clarification. The steps seem appropriate. I would make sure that your HUE v3.10.0 (if installed) works before doing anything else. If HUE works, then it should rule out a Registry file error.

If there are items overlooked, all we can do is deal with them as they arise. Move slowly and try to start ANW after every step you take, to ensure that it actually works. I vaguely recall some oddities with your installation, but cannot remember any specifics.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:53 am

Hey Herman,
I'm back at home and ready to try this. I don't think I have HUE installed, but I'll check. Wish me luck.
aotino

Postby aotino » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:09 am

Hey Herman,
Where do I go to download Harp 3? I have my Serial # and my product version is, as you say, 3.9.4. Let me know and I'll get started on this.
Cheers, Alan
aotino

PreviousNext

Return to H3 General discussion