CasoDB AMENDED - New Database and scenarios

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

Re: CasoDB AMMENDED - New Database and scenarios

Postby aotino » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:15 am

Oh BTW, I don't see HUE in any of my files. I don't think I ever carried an HUE version.
aotino
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Postby Herman Hum » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:01 am

If you registered your s/n with MatrixGames, you should be able to get the installer files from them. If you are unable to do so, let me know and I can try to send you my archived file. I think that you probably bought the original release of the game in 2006. If this is incorrect, let me know because they messed around with their s/n and sometimes old s/n do not work with more modern files.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:22 pm

I think I bought it around 2010
aotino

Postby aotino » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:58 pm

Hey Herman,
So I looked all around the Matrix site, and I was even able to log on and go to my product history. It showed that I had bought Harp 3 and even showed my serial number, but when asked to provide serial number and password, I never had a password when I bought it. I cannot find where I can download the game. Any suggestions? I have a serial number, and an order number, and the date I bought it was Oct 8, 2009.
aotino

Postby aotino » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:59 pm

I bought version Harpoon ANW 3.9.4
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:53 pm

I do not know what you mean by 'password requested'. IIRC, as long as you log into the Matrix Members section, you should be able to request an installer. However, I have not done so in a very long time. You may need to contact Matrix Support for a new installer.

If you prefer, an installer has been sent to your PM.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:12 am

Great. Thanks so much Herman. Matrix sent me to Digital River, which they claim that anyone who bought the game prior to 2010 (I bought it in Oct 2009) must deal with Digital River to re-download the program. Digital River had no record of my order #, which I saved, and thats where they also asked for a password, which I never was required to create. So, there you have it - a roadblock. Anyway, thanks for sending me the installer. I need to free up space on the computer and then load it up.
Cheers,
Alan
aotino

Postby aotino » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Hey Herman,
Just to give you an update, I eventually retrieved my physical CD of the game, so I can reload with that. My big problem now is what the other reason was why I have issues with the game reload. My computer's available space is maxed, and there is no room for anything, including upgrades to the operating system. I going to either have to have the computer professionally cleaned out for space or get a new one. It's too bad because I was on the cusp of releasing the last four scenarios of the present battleset (3 of which have been already play-tested), and I have outlined the scenarios for the next battleset. So, I will be off-line for a while while I get my computer issues straightened out, and will let you know when I'm back in business. The other thing that complicates matters, is the scenario that crashed is right in the middle of the last scenarios to be released, and I now have to rebuild it, and retest it which will delay matters more. Ah well, we do this all because we love the game. I'll keep you posted.
Best,
Alan
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:16 pm

If HDD space is a problem, an external hard drive can be attached. Passport(tm) is one such product. It can add a teraByte of storage for about $50-60 USD and can often be connected via a simple USB port.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:17 pm

Can I run Harpoon from an external HD, or does it need to be loaded up on the computer itself. The trick is to upload Harpoon. Will the computer allow me to do that by using space from the external HD?
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:23 pm

I do not know if Harpoon will run from an external HDD. I do not own an external HDD, myself. I bought a Passport drive for my niece to back up her files and she was quite happy with it.

Instead of running Harpoon from the external HDD, it might be more practical to move files such as documents, videos, and other material that is easily archived, onto the external HDD device instead of trying to run executable programs from it. It may be possible, but I simply do not know.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:47 am

Thanks. Cheers
aotino

Postby aotino » Tue May 15, 2018 2:27 am

Hi Herman,

Well my problem still exists with my PC's hard drive. Its just too full to reload my Harpoon game. If you will remember, a scenario I was modifying after test play shut down the computer, and then I found that it had also corrupted my Harpoon game. So I saved all my Harpoon files = the CasoDB, minus this scenario, and figured I was in a holding pattern until I could clean out my hard drive to create space and reload the game. Not knowing whether it was the disk space or the scenario that cause the corruption, I knew with your suggestion that I would have to recreate the scenario from scratch. Since my campaign is sequential, I can't offer up any more ready scenarios until I rebuild this one and test it.

So, I was figuring that because my computer needs to be overhauled or I need to get a new one, it was going to be a long while until I could start contributing scenarios to the game site again. Well the good news is that I've got a workaround. I was about to recycle my previous computer, but I noticed that I still had an intact Harpoon II ANW version active on it just as I was about to erase the hard drive on the device. I deleted all the CasoDB files on it, kept the computer and loaded up the saved CasoDB files from my most recent debilitated computer. Lo and behold the game is up and running. SO, I've got a platform to work from, and I'm rebuilding the scenario from that test game that I had saved before the re-tweeking of that scenario corrupted my game. Still will take some time but I now have a venue to work from.

The question is: how's the status of our beloved game? There seems to be very little activity. Are we dying out? Are we holding on to something that no one else cares about anymore? Or is there still an interest in Harpoon? Asking because I want to know that there's still a community out there, and that we have a heartbeat. I love this game dearly, but I want to know if it still matters, or whether its time to move on.

Let me know and cheers!

Alan
aotino

Postby Herman Hum » Tue May 15, 2018 4:38 am

MatrixGames will continue to sell the game at least until 2020, when their current contract expires.

The databases and scenarios continue to be downloaded. You can track the rate for yourself (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13#p18) and determine for yourself if they are worth your effort. IMO, as long as there are users who demand realistic databases, multi-player capability, and challenging scenarios, there will be Harpoon players.

The latest H3 video was greeted with pleasure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTyLseW ... Ypx4AaABAg
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby aotino » Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks Herman for the quick reply and data on downloads. Yes it looks like the recent downloads have dropped off quite a bit, but people are still downloading, which is a good thing. I also very much enjoyed your video of the Mugging the Forrestal - really great stuff, fun and educational. Well, I'm going to keep plugging away. Still love this game.
Cheers, Alan
aotino

PreviousNext

Return to H3 General discussion