H3 Multiplayer Server up

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

H3 Multiplayer Server up

Postby Herman Hum » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:14 am

Tony Eischens at HarpGamer has graciously offered up an old server to run Harpoon3 ANW server 24/7.

IP: 72.21.228.42
Port: 14343 - PlayersDB aka the Players Database

http://harpgamer.com/chat/chatters.php Click link to enter chat.

Head over when you want to play!

If the server does appear to crash, chase me down at #harpgamer on the NewNetIRC network or e-mail me at sysop@tgp.net.

Anyone looking for an MP game can drop a line here or look for us on HarpGamer pHp chat room or the HG mIRC chat room.

If you want to see scenarios added/removed/swapped out please e-mail me the scenarios in a single zip file to sysop@tgp.net and I'll make the changes. Make sure to tell me which database the scenarios are for!

Please note that the server is running the Beta Patch 3.7.3 software so you need to use this version for access to the server. The ANW 3.7.0 version will simply crash.

I would recommend that anyone considering installation of the Beta software to do so with a parallel installation. i.e. one version for ANW 3.7.0 and one with the Beta Patch 3.7.3 Previous experience has taught everyone more than a little scepticism with this game. :wink:
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby Herman Hum » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:41 pm

Tony just upgraded the HarpGamer ANW server to use the Beta 3.7.3 patch so we decided to give it a try.

We wanted something fairly quick so we selected Matrix Lance made with the favourite database of Harpoon3:ANW, the PlayersDB. It has diesel subs on the prowl in the Baltic Sea.

We both started off with a passive sonar search pattern. However, I got impatient as my dinner was getting cold so I switched over to active sonar; a very, Very, VERY bad idea. :twisted:

Soon enough, my sonar operators reported, "Transient, Transient! Multiple torpedoes in the water!"

I quickly fired a brace of torpedoes down the line of bearing and went to flank speed in preparation for evasive manoeuvres. Unfortunately, flank speed on a diesel boat is only about 19kts and the torpedoes were running at 40kts. My decoys managed to draw one off, but the other three struck my little boat. My return fire failed to lock onto Tony's boat while one started chasing a merchantman. (Some sailors were going to get a very rude awakening! :eek:)

Another great game, Tony. Thanks for the switching up the server software to Beta Patch 3.7.3. I guess that this means that anyone wanting to try ANW on your server is going to need to install the Beta patch.

I would recommend that anyone considering installation of the Beta software to do so with a parallel installation. i.e. one version for ANW 3.7.0 and one with the Beta Patch 3.7.3 Previous experience has taught everyone more than a little scepticism with this game. :cheeky:

This scenario has not yet been published, but anyone wishing to try it out can do so from HarpGamer's ANW server. :cool:
Attachments
Tony is Victorious!.gif
Tony is Victorious!.gif (8.01 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby Herman Hum » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:32 am

Tony's really getting into the spirit of ANW. He made up a little scenario for us to try with the ANW DB. It was an even match up with USN forces.

I got in an early hit when I sank his CG Leahy with undetected wave of Harpoons and TLAM. Understandably, he returned the favour minutes later. I guess that's the price you pay for not turning on your radar systems! :laugh:

My CG Ticonderoga was about to fall prey to a barrage of Harpoon missiles and had already suffered a missile strike before I wised up to the situation and turned on my radar. It was just in the nick of time that she saw some followup Harpoons and shot them down with her SAM systems.

Now, we were relatively evenly matched. Tony had a SSN Sturgeon and DD Spruance against my CG Ticonderoga and SSN Los Angeles.

I closed on his Sturgeon with both the LA and the Tico only to receive a barrage of torpedoes in the face. However, he had fired them from maximum range so I turned and easily outran them. I would not make that error, twice.

Went after his Sturgeon, once again. This time, I fired a torpedo from my own sub to goad him into moving towards my CG and it worked. He moved and I dropped a pair of ASROC-torpedoes on his head.

Meanwhile, Tony was being cagy, himself. He had crept up on my own SSN and had launched his own Mk46 torpedoes at it! However, she promptly fired a pair of ADCAP Mod 5 back at him and took off in a mad dash for safety.

Both the Sturgeon and the Spruance died within minutes of each other and I suffered no further losses. A fun time was had by all.

Thanks for the new scen, Tony. The ANW server will have it available for the next few days in case anyone would like a chance to try it out.

ImageXG file archives - Home of the Harpoon3 PlayersDB

Attachments
ANW 2.gif
ANW 2.gif (7.97 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
ANW 1.gif
ANW 1.gif (9.06 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Return to H3 General discussion