Database signature matching and information

Discuss Harpoon3 and ANW

Database signature matching and information

Postby DaVoR » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:15 pm

Hi there,

I can't figure out how to match a modified database signature to scenarios, nor how to add database information.
I've checked the FAQ, and tried those steps with no success.
In the launcher for the game, H3 Ultimate ANW, I can only see a blank spot where I'd like the modified database to be.

Can anyone help?

Cheers!
DaVoR
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Re: Database signature matching and information

Postby DaVoR » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:09 am

Hi there,

Is anyone around here anymore? :?

With the database changes, I'd like to change the ready times, remove the ready time from the loadout, add some units (maybe), and add pictures.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks!
DaVoR
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Herman Hum » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:11 am

Sorry for not seeing your message earlier.

Your request appears to be simple, but the consequences are extreme. Let us first establish what you are trying to do and with which version of the game.

You state that you are using the H3 Ultimate ANW launcher. Are you running the ANW v3.9.4 or HUE v3.10 versions?
Which database editor version do you have? For example, are you using the MicroSoft Access-based Reimer Editor or the H3GameEditor.exe?

Every database consists of 17 *.dat files, a Database.XML file, and a signature file. The signature is similar to a fingerprint for all 17 *.dat files and is unique to every set of 17 files. If you change a single value (i.e. 'Harpoon' to 'harpoon'), you have changed the database and a new signature must be generated.

Every scenario is created/matched to a specific signature for a database. As an analogy, if a scenario is originally written with an American English database, it cannot be later loaded and played with an Australian English database. They may be similar, but the game will not allow you to open the scenario with another database because it is searching for the signature of the database for which it was created.

This is just one of the many problems associated with database editing for Harpoon. If you wish to continue down this avenue, be prepared for lots of problems created by new users like yourself. There are ways to fix the problems, but they are many and some are complex. I can help, but be prepared for lots of work and potential frustration on your part to get things to work.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby DaVoR » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:22 am

That's ok.

I'd like to make changes that, for me, make playing more enjoyable: edit ready times, remove that time from the loadout, add pictures for all the platforms, text edits, add or edit current platforms, like that.
I won't be giving this to anyone, and I won't be downloading anymore scenarios. I might even make my own.

HUE v3.10 version

MicroSoft Access-based Reimer Editor

Thanks for your help!
DaVoR
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Herman Hum » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:13 am

PM sent
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Postby DaVoR » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:32 pm

Hi Herman,

Thanks for the reply.

What I had in mind seems more involved than expected, and I won't have the time to devote to it.
The game plays well, I haven't experienced any bugs of note as yet, so that will have to do.

Cheers!
DaVoR
Seaman Recruit
Seaman Recruit

Postby Herman Hum » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:34 pm

Sorry to hear that you do not wish to continue with your modifications.

The database editing requirements demanded by the Harpoon developers are, in a word, idiotic. However, if you do not meet each and every requirement, you will keep getting errors and crashes; resulting in constant frustration.

Let me know if you should change your mind.
ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Herman Hum
Captain
Captain

Return to H3 General discussion